* Garnets are the official birthstone for January.
* Garnets range from a 7.0 to 7.5 on the Mohs scale of Hardness.
* Garnets are found in the United States (Arizona), South Africa, Argentina, Brazil, Myanmar (Burma), Scotland, Switzerland and Tanzania.
*Garnet’s powers include healing, strength, and protection and it is often worn to relieve inflammations of the skin. It is also believed to regulate the heart and blood flow and aid in curing depression. In earlier times, garnets were exchanged as gifts between friends to demonstrate their affection for each other and to insure that they meet again.
* The family of garnets can be found in every color except blue.
* The red varieties of garnet are believed to increase passion in all areas of life. Garnet is thought to attract love and soul mates and to enhance creativity. Some believe that it is useful in warding off bad dreams and can be used as protection from theft. It is thought to heal oneself and friends and bring harm onto enemies!